Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Doing More than whats expected.

I'm one of those people who always has a long list of things they want to do and unfortunately always finds reasons/excuses to never actually go through with them. When I was younger I would spend weeks begging my parents to let me join horse riding classes or keyboard classes, and then when they would finally agree, I would go for probably 3 classes and then not follow it up. In hindsight I wish I had pushed myself more. It would be great to actually be skilled at something.
Last year I, on my own impetus, had joined drumming classes. It was a ball. Its amazing to learn to make music. I went for quite a while and soon was getting the hang of it. However, the teacher then asked me to learn the notes and do some homework and learn how to write music basically. I didn't go back because it was hard to keep up with spending time on it outside of class.
I often feel that this happens also because very few people respect what you do in your spare time. Everyone always feels its a hobby or just something to do IF you have the time for it. But sometimes I feel that extra curricular activities should have a priority. When you do things outside of your workplace, you stimulate your brain to explore its creative side and to stay alert. You meet interesting people which might be good for networking, or at least conversation. If everyone started having the attitude that its important to keep trying new things I think it would be easier to keep up with them.
Right now I really want to join dancing class. I've always wanted to learn dance, in any form. I know I cant make the weekday course but I'm hoping I can join on saturday-sunday batch. However I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to be travelling for work on many sundays. This is because our free time isn't valued, and there's so much competition and 50 people waiting to take ure job that we dont even protest. Or so we think! However maybe i will brave it. I've found out a few places near my house that have dance classes such as Platinum Bodies in Jayanagar 3rd Block, Studio 5678 in the same area, Genesis in JP Nagar, and IFLAC for salsa in Basavanagudi. So there are many options and I'm always looking for more! Let's see what the weekend brings.

1 comment:

Stunner said...

Hey any luck with your Salsa classes? Got any recommendations as I wanted to join the same.....