Monday, December 1, 2008

The wandering mind

There are those people who keep dreaming but never make anything of those dreams. Does that make it wrong to dream? There are those people who make one goal and center their lives around that goal. Is it wrong to be so focussed and miss out on other opportunities?
My last blog was about the many things I want to do. Needless to say I've not joined dance class. I've been working extra and none of the classes fit into my schedule. It makes me feel like one more thing I've failed at, but does that mean I should stop trying things or wanting to try things?
Before this becomes a philosophical lesson I will just decide to choose. I choose to always keep wanting more, and hopefully, as Harry Potter says, for every 14 No's, there has to be one Yes!
Maybe I should start with someone that does not require a specific time. Like blogging! I can do this whenever I want, it gives me a chance to use my rusty english skills, and hopefully one day I'll actually write something interesting enough that people will comment on my blog!
Many people say blogging is an art in itself, and I am definitely the greenest amateur. What are the best ways of building one's blog?
The following link seems to be a good place for me to start and so I will start reading a little in my free time
http://www.problogger.net/archives/2006/02/14/blogging-for-beginners-2/
In school I read a book called Catcher in the Rye which was a complete stream of consciousness and I wonder how it would work as a blog. From one perspective it is a maddening book to read as you have to really keep track of the many things he says. It's literally following the way a person might think. It's extremely interesting to track one's thoughts and see how fast we jump from topic to topic without even realising. Example :
  • I should go to sleep, I have to get up early tomorrow
  • It will be so cold early in the morning.
  • First I'll have a cup of tea, that will get me going
  • Oh I forgot to buy more sugar from the supermarket today
  • I can have black tea with honey
  • What was that documentary on tv about honeybees the other day?
  • Black and yellow is a horrible combination for an outfit but it really works on bees
  • I need new black trousers
  • I wonder when sale season is. Probably January.
  • My cousins getting married in January in Udaipur
  • I've always wanted to visit Rajasthan
And so on....
within a span of maybe 5 seconds, from going to sleep I've moved on to planning a trip months from now! It's really amazing how fast the mind works and how easily things are connected. Now imagine I had said the first, fifth, and last thing out loud. Wouldn't that sound ridiculous?!
That's the stream of consciousness, and it can be mesmerizing! Give it a try, it's worth a laugh if nothing else, and maybe one day a blog!

No comments: