Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Too Long

Yes I know I've been a hopeless blogger till date. I've written 6 posts in as many months. I really can't say that I'm too busy, because it really doesn't take that much time to write. Ah well, all I can say is I must try to improve my frequency. Thanks to everyone who's left comments. Its very motivating to know someone is interested in what I have to say :)

So in the last few months I've not done much new...work had become a little hectic so a little less on the exploring but things have finally quietened down a bit. I had gone to the Aero Show which was quite exciting. Just to stand there and hear the roar of the planes is an experience! I wasn't going to go initially as I'm not really into such things but am glad I did. Plus it's always nice to spend the day doing something apart from the usual. The Surya Kiran display was definitely the best. My hats off to the pilots as well as the entire Indian Air force for their skill. It's heartwarming to be a part of an event and hear so many of the kids saying wow and wouldnt it be great to be a pilot. We need more people like that. I would love to learn to fly. Obviously not at such a level but more for kicks. I'm sure right now I wouldn't be able to afford the lessons but someday! What a high it must be - no pun intended!

Last weekend I went to Pondicherry. Gosh it was good to get out of the city for even 2 days and take a real break. Came back fully refreshed although it was excrutiatingly hot in Pondicherry! The town was not at all what I'd expected. I guess I think all beach towns should be like Goa, but Pondi is a lot calmer and more about just doing nothing and drinking less. We wandered around, took long bike rides in some beautiful shady paths, went on a boat ride ( the boys jumped in to the salty salty sea! ), tried to shop (not very advisable) and of course visited the ashram which is one of Pondi's most famous sites. We also ate at some delicious restaurants. my favourite food was at RendezVous. A quiet little place in the French Quarter with casual service but Yum food. From the melt in your mouth garlic bread to the ice cold breezers and beer to the main course everything was perfect! We had dinner at a place called Satsanga, again in the French Quarter. This place is also quite well known and although the setting is lovely I would not really recommend the food. Firstly most of our orders were messed up, and not very appealling. I think the chocolate mousse must have been still in the making when it was served!

Very close to the ashram we had lunch at a small Pizzeria run by some very real Italians! The pizza is extremely authentic and although not suited to the Indian palate specifically it was delicious nonetheless. More importantly I think I had the best chocolate cake I've ever had in my life! Wow!

Just before leaving we relaxed at The Promenade. This place is a Hidesign boutique hotel and beautifully built although a little rundown in a few places. The outdoor bar/restaurant has a lovely view of Pondicherry's main beach so a great place to just relax and have a few drinks. Overall it was a great trip thanks to the company of 5 good friends. Best way to get around Pondi is to hire bikes and stay somewhere in the french quarter so you can also walk around in the evening.

Recommendation : Good for a weekend or 3 days - try to stay somewhere with a swimming pool!

1 comment:

pInK said...

La Bussy is a nice place in Puducherry (Pondicherry), as I stayed there and felt somehow different environment. Have you tried food at Auroville? I guess that was awesome. I did find various salads and good ice creams there. In any case, thanks for mentioning about Rendezvous. I do not think I had tried there but I will do it next time. Thanks for sharing.